Stay away from floodwaters - Turn around don't drown
Floods are one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States.
There is always potential for flood damage no matter where you live. According to the American Red Cross floods cause more damage in the United States every year than any other weather related disaster. The American Red Cross offers these flood safety tips:
- Stay away from floodwaters. If you come up on a flowing stream where water is above your ankles, stop, turn around and go another way. Six inches of swiftly moving water can sweep you off of your feet.
- If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and waters are riding rapidly around you, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
- Keep children out of the water. They are curious and often lack judgment about running water or contaminated water.
If a flood occurs and affects you, call SERVPRO of Durant at (580) 740-4848. Even minor floods have potential to cause major damage. We are faster to ANY size disaster. Let us help you get your life back in order.
If a Disaster Strikes, Will You Be Ready?
Sign up for local alerts and warnings
It is important to prepare before a storm or disaster occurs. Consider the following steps to better prepare for an emergency situation:
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings, download apps, and/or check access for wireless emergency alerts.
- Develop and test emergency communication plans with your family.
- Assemble or update your emergency supplies.
- Learn about local hazards in our city, and conduct drills to practice emergency response actions.
- Participate in a preparedness discussion, training, or class.
- Collect and safeguard critical documents.
- Plan with neighbors to help each other and share resources.
- Document property and obtain appropriate insurance for relevant hazards.
- Make property improvements to reduce potential injury and property damage.
Emergencies and storms can happen anytime to anyone. Taking action now helps to protect not only yourself, but also your property.
SERVPRO is not just a local brand, but a national one
Call SERVPRO to make it "Like it never even happened."
Since its founding in 1967 SERVPRO has expanded to over 1,700 locations across the United States and Canada. Since then SERVPRO has also greatly expanded the array of services we offer. Since those services range from carpet cleaning and deodorization to large scale disaster recovery and with SERVPRO’s 1,700+ locations our collective knowledge and experience are one of the greatest assets SERVPRO has and we know how to use it. SERVPRO locations provide all kinds of support to each other ranging from equipment to people-power and technical advice. Sometimes we might run into an issue that we have not encountered before or possibly elements to a job that prevents our normal methods for jobs. This is when we have been able to rely on the knowledge base which our corporate office and other SERVPRO’s have accumulated. It does not matter what emergency you are facing. From Water Mitigation, Fire Restoration, or Mold Remediation. SERVPRO has the team and backing to handle it all. We are known for taking care of big problems and disasters, but we also are adept at helping people with issues you normally may not know the solution too. If you have an emergency which makes you think “I don’t even know who does this,” try giving us a call.
We are SERVPRO of Durant
SERVPRO of Paris Staff Cleaning up after winter storm.
SERVPRO of Durant specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event.
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
We will provide you with the support and service you need in any situation. We are always here to help.We pride ourselves on showing our customers how much we care. When you can make your customers happy and confident in what you do, you can be assured that they will always put their trust in you with any job. Call SERVPRO of Durant for all of your home needs.
The Potential Causes for Electrical Fires
Most electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets and or old, outdated appliances.
Most electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets and or old, outdated appliances. The following are the most common reasons why electrical fires happen:
- Old electrical sockets and unsafe appliances
Appliances that are old and overused and those that fall short of modern safety standards are the worst culprits. Frayed electrical cords, self-jointed wires, and worn out sockets that are not properly grounded are major causes of fires. They become ready outlets for directing heat and fire to carpets, rugs, curtains and combustible plastic. Older appliances draw more power than the wall sockets can handle.
- Using light fixtures that exceed the permissible wattage
A very common cause of fires is plugging lights, lighting appliances and bulbs into electrical sockets that cannot handle higher wattage levels. Antique lighting appliances may have defective wiring that makes the appliance unstable by overheating. Decorating lights with colored paper and cloth shades can increase the risk of fire when the material or fabric heats up.
- Using multiple appliances plugged into an extension cord
Unrestricted use of extension cords is a major fire hazard. The risk of fire increases when your TV, home theatre, computer and other appliances are all plugged into a single extension cord. This creates excessive power load on a single socket which may not be designed to handle that load. So, there is a social and economic cost to damaged wiring!
- Locating portable heaters near combustible materials
Portable space heaters that use coils are potentially dangerous when they are positioned carelessly near curtains and rugs and adjacent to beds and cloth covered furniture. The chances of inflammable material coming into contact with the red-hot coils increase the risk of fire.
- Wiring that becomes defective with the passage of time
Over a period of time you add more electrical appliances such as wide screen televisions, home theatre, microwave oven, refrigerator and air conditioners. The outdated home wiring cannot handle the increased power load. Older wiring tends to heat up quickly and catches fire. If the breaker boxes are themselves defective, they cannot prevent overheated electrical panels from catching fire.
Why Should I Call Professionals for Water Cleanup and Restoration?
After your home suffers water damage, you need a team of professionals to assist you with cleanup. Call SERVPRO of Paris right away!
SERVPRO of Durant Offers 24/7 Emergency Services to Handle Your Water Damage and Restoration Needs
A sudden water intrusion like a leaking pipe or the breakdown of your water heater can be a sizable inconvenience. However, this inconvenience turns into a substantial loss if not addressed quickly and using the right methods. Hiring trained water restoration technicians (WRT) to come to your home helps you limit the loss and get your home back to normal faster than DIY methods alone.
What is SERVPRO’s Response Plan for Water Damage?
Whenever we get called for water damage restoration we formulate a plan based on any combination of methods to help us:
- Minimize the need for demolition
- Repair or restore rather than replace
- Create an optimum atmosphere for drying, such as closed drying systems
- Expedite restoration to have you back to your routine fast
How is the Need for Demolition Determined?
With many water removal project demolition is required to remove any wet structural components or wall materials. Controlled or partial demolition efforts allow us to remove and replace just a portion of the materials to have it finished off to match the preloss condition. Our team always uses a variety of non-invasive techniques to ensure no moisture is left behind, including:
- Moisture sensors
- Moisture detectors
- Thermal cameras
Of course, whenever your interior has standing water, we use extraction tools and a combination of methods to facilitate faster removal. Some of the standard options our SERVPRO technicians will use include:
- Submersible pumps
- High-powered extractors
- Draining any trapped water behind walls using bore-holes
- Wet-Vac, and more
Why Should I Have SERVPRO of Durant Restore My Carpets?
We are well-versed in best practices for restoring carpeting impacted by water loss within the home. Upon arrival and formulation of our restoration plan, we inspect your carpeting and select the best equipment and methods to achieve our goals. The process includes:
- Inspecting carpeting using moisture probe technology – this allows us to determine how deep the moisture has embedded into the carpet and the pad below.
- Detachment of the carpet with the proper tools so our technicians can further inspect to see if the carpet has delaminated or mold has begun to colonize.
- In cases where the water has not infiltrated the carpet pad or the subfloor below, we may use centrifugal air movers to float the carpet, thus allowing warm air to circulate beneath.
- In cases where water moisture saturates the carpet fully, we will remove the padding below and dispose of it to be replaced after the drying of the zone is complete.
In general, carpet detachment is the fastest way to facilitate drying as it allows air to flow underneath. However, we have some in-place drying methods that will enable us to achieve drying goals without detachment. This may involve using a weighted extractor, or rover, that works from the perimeter inward while drying. In-place drying is ideal when moisture has not made it all the way down to the carpet padding.
Why is Professional Restoration Better Than DIY?
What many homeowners may not realize is that there does not have to be extensive water damage for it to add up to an immense loss. There could be hidden moisture left behind in wall cavities and other tight spots that make it difficult for DIY methods to get the job done. SERVPRO features IICRC-certified technicians that have the choice between two distinct systems to ensure your home is back to appropriate humidity levels. These systems include:
- Open Drying System – This works by using outside air to speed up the drying of the impacted area. Warmer months allow us to use an open system for active, time-efficient drying. This method helps to promote evaporation while using equipment like air-movers and box fans to exchange evaporated moisture with drier outside air. We can do this by opening up doors and windows in conjunction with a centrifugal motion to create fluid air movement.
• Closed Drying System – This system works by using dehumidification equipment within a concentrated drying zone for air exchange. Such a method is excellent during times of the year when temperatures are lower, and access to the outdoors is limited. This works on the same principle, yet a closed system gives more control of the temperatures. Higher temps mean the air holds more moisture, and drying is faster. We also use desiccant dehumidifiers within the work zone for moisture removal and to thwart the potential for mold growth.