Residual Damage from Fire!
When dealing with fire damage, there is more to be cleaned up than just what is affected by the flames. Soot and smoke the fire leaves behind can continue damaging property long after the flames are extinguished, and this can give rise to other issues such as mold and rust as well.
If left untreated, this damage can compound over time, becoming more difficult and costly to remediate.
What Untreated Fire Damage Can Cause
If you’ve been affected by a fire, it is important to call your restoration team right away to prevent giving rise to other issues such as:
Soot Damage. Soot is the most common form of carbon byproduct that materials produce when they burn. Most home and commercial fires consist of multiple burned materials, leading to soot that is highly acidic. This acid can cause damage to nearly any surface it comes into contact with, with porous or textured surfaces being the most at-risk. Any soot allowed to remain in the affected area can lead to damage of carpets, walls and unburnt portions of the house. The longer the soot is allowed to sit, the more unlikely the damage can be reversed.
Mold Damage. After a fire, affected areas are often left without any artificial or natural lighting. If the fire was doused with water or set off a sprinkler system, this creates mold’s ideal environment to thrive. Mold can quickly begin growth on almost any surface, leading to discoloration and damage to items and structures.
Corrosion and Rust Damage. Rust and corrosion might not be the first thing you think of when you consider fire damage, but water left untreated on small electronics can cause it to develop and greatly increase the risk for short-circuits or electrical shock.
If you’ve been affected by a fire, know that SERVPRO of Durant meets all the qualifications and more to make your home safe and back to normal. Contact us today to learn how we’re able to make it “Like it never even happened.”